Letter to the Chief Executive Officer of the City of Stirling:
Re: Proposed northern extension of the Esplanade at Scarborough Beach
Supporters of our group attended a meeting convened by Hon Liza Harvey MLA on Wednesday 8 June 2016. The meeting by invitation only, was held to inform local residents on the re-development of Scarborough Beach. The meeting was addressed by the MRA and an officer from the Minister for Planning’s office also attended. An opportunity was provided for attendees to ask questions.
Of concern to us was Ms Harvey’s answer to a question about a City of Stirling Council resolution carried at a meeting on 1 May 2012 to proceed with the full closure of the Esplanade road reserve north of Reserve St Scarborough.Ms Harvey replied that “…unfortunately…the Council had not followed through on that vote” and the road reserve had not been closed. A number of residents were shocked to hear this as they had understood that this road closure was settled and that following Council approval, it would proceed.
Our group (previously Stop the Boardwalk) received a letter from the City dated 16 May 2012 advising that the full closure of the Esplanade road reserve would occur subject to various approvals including the Department of Planning, and that the land would be amalgamated with Class A Reserve 46248 (South Trigg Beach Reserve). This reclassification was appropriate given the area had already been included in Bush Forever Area 308 (Trigg Bushland Reserve).
The letter advised that the Council’s reasons for full closure of the road reserve were as follows:
- To maintain an ecological link into adjoining “A” Class Reservation.
- Existing flora and fauna has a continuous relationship with the current dune structure
- Existing entry and egress points along West Coast Highway and Reserve Street cater for any future development.
- A “no road” decision would bring this location into conformity with the southern end of the Esplanade (no road).
A copy of this letter is attached for your information.
In response to telephone enquiries by me at the City on 3 May 2013 and again on 17 July 2014 Council Officer Lee Prior advised that the closure was on track and that the Department of Planning had given consent. He said that the road closure was with State Land Services. He said that Water Corporation and Verve Electricity had advertised the closure and that no objections had been received. Mr Prior said that the closure could take up to three years however, he assured me that everything was “…on track” and that when State Lands come back after assessing all the agencies assessments, then the City will survey the land and final plans will be lodged for the closure and amalgamation into Reserve 46248.
Our question to the City is why and when this process was stopped, and on whose authority given that it was a resolution of the Council? The MRA continues to advise us that the road reserve still exists and that the closure was not completed.
Ms Harvey has advised that it was the City’s responsibility to proceed with the road closure and that it had not followed through.
We look forward to your response.
Convenor, Friends of Trigg Beach